Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Two For Two

Last week Kahri was diagnosed with an ear infection. They put her on good old Amoxicillin. Well Monday night we noticed little red spots on her skin. By Tuesday they were all over her torso and legs. She looked like a spotted giraffe. So we took her in to the Doctor yesterday. He told us to stop the medicine and give her benedryl. This helped with the itching, but the rash had spread even more by last night. This morning she woke up with a swollen face and bruising. So we once again headed in to the Dr.'s office. Apparently the affect of the amoxicillin caused some inflammation of the small vessels leading to bruising. So we were told to go home and give her benedryl. The rash and swelling will go away in the next week or two. The poor kid looks so awful, yet she isn't acting like it bugs her at all. At least she is still happy! Emily had a reaction to Amoxicillin when she was 2 or 3. Not as bad a Kahri, but she can't have penicillin anymore. So now both of my girls are allergic to mold:)


Before

After



4 comments:

emilypr said...

I hope she gets better soon, poor girl. The SAME thing happened to my mom this week, oddly enough. Had a bad sickness, got amoxicillin, and broke progressively worse and worse for days. She already knew she was allergic to penicillin, but this was a surprise.

Jodi said...

I had the same thing happen to me when I took amoxicillin. For some reason I didn't really think that I was allergic, and I have had other penicillin meds, but one of the doctors I told didn't seem to think that was very smart of me. Oops.

Kelley said...

So sad! She's such a cute girl, even puffy and spotted.

Anna said...

Poor sweetie.