Monday, February 25, 2008

Taxes done!!!

After trying multiple online tax options to see which site offers the best refund, I finally hit the "file your refund" button. Naturally with a filing date in February we don't have to pay, but who knows how long these days of tax returns will last. I'm glad that's done for another year. It was even worse this year having to file two state returns.

To add to the exitement of the evening Dawn noticed water flowing into our basement. Thank goodness for 20's architecture and our French drain in the middle of the floor for the water to drain into, not to mention our carpet that must have been recovered from a soon to be demolished church building from the 60s. No big loss. I only had to shut off the water to our outside spigot to prevent more water from coming into the house.

I also lost about five pounds in 20 minutes. Dawn gave me a haircut. It had been a long time. My head feels like it's in the clouds, but that could be from submitting my tax returns. Who knows.

4 comments:

Suzette said...

I am hoping to get mine done too. What did you mean who knows how long the days of tax returns will last? Are you not planning on getting any money back in the future? I have someone do mine, since I hate being bothered with it all. Which is probably silly since I have pretty straightforward tax stuff. Numbers give me a headache.
Sue

Jodi said...

We just got ours done, and all our money is almost gone. Can I say king sized bed??? We are looking forward to that additional check from the government!

Kristi said...

Are you saying you actually went through a number of programs--typing in all your info and then chose the highest refund amount to decide which program you would use? Seems like that means something is wrong with the system. I did a presentation once in my masters program on having a flat rate tax program.

We are still waiting for info before we can file. But then we will probably have a guy from our Oregon ward file ours since he has done them for the last 3 years. This is the last year we will enjoy the liberality of Oregon. They give a big tax credit for working in rural areas and Terry still qualifies even though he was only there 3 months.

Nathan said...

Yeah. I went through several programs. The difference lies in how thorough the program is in finding deductions and credits. Pennsylvania doesn't have a standard deduction, but they have a "tax forgiveness credit" which works out similarly to a deduction, but it's applied after the tax is calculated. TurboTax got our full refund from PA, TaxSlayer didn't even offer the option. Guess who we went through. If you pay for more services, supposedly they can find more options for you.