Saturday, April 12, 2008

Man verses storm.

We had a large lightning storm sweep through last night. It woke Emily up and she came to bed with us. Shortly after, a bright flash and a loud bang brought us all wide awake. Something beeped for a second and Dawn made me investigate. I couldn't find anything, but the storm was pretty impressive. Since Emily is quite timid about...everything, I thought I would check the weather online and see how long the storm should last. I tried turning on the computer, and...nothing. Not a single thing. No power. I checked my surge protector and it looked fine, the monitor, speakers, and printer worked, but nothing from the computer. The modem was also fried. We no longer have a computer. We'll get it checked out, hopefully today, but probably not until next week and hopefully something will be salvageable. We'll see. Until then we revert back to primitive life, without a computer. It's worse than using food storage.

Oh, that lightning shattered a pane of our neighbors glass door. Wow.

By the way, as I've been reading computer geek websites to see how bad the computer may be, surge protectors are no match for lightning.

4 comments:

r1 said...

Sorry to hear about the computer. If your surge protector is a name brand one it might have a equipment replacement guarantee. Though I have never heard of anyone I know trying to collect on it.

emilypr said...

Whoah! I hope it wasn't a new computer. You could really make the most of your primitive week, though --go all out 80s retro!!

BrianJ said...

My parents' neighbors house got hit by lightning several years ago and the surge ran up their phone line, down ours, and fried our computer. You're right: no match for lightning. I think you have to get a UPS if you want that kind of protection.

Alison said...

Yikes! Sorry about the lightening. This is Alison, Kristi's friend. I just wanted to tell you that I think you have a darling family. Congrats on expecting #4!